I'm wondering what the meeting will be like, the two monarch's have such different roles in their respective countries. Whilst Queen Elizabeth does not rule her country and has no official political influence, Sultan Qaboos is an absolute monarch and the head of the government. Also, in Oman only males are entitled to the throne. It will be interesting if these come up in conversation between the two.
In a small tribute to the visit here are a few interesting facts you may or may not have known about the Queen and the Sultan.
1) The Queen's last visit to Oman was in 1979 and this month's visit will be her first to the Gulf since then. The Sultan's last State Visit to the UK was in 1982.
2) During her reign the Queen has made over 60 State visits to foreign governments.
3) The Sultan studied in England and graduated from The Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst.
4) The Queen is 84 years old, the Sultan is 70.
5) The Queen's official birthday is not celebrated on the same day every year, the Sultan's is celebrated alongside the National Day on 18th November.
6) The Queen is head of State in 16 Commonwealth countries.
7) The Queen has been married for 63 years, the Sultan's brief marriage to his cousin ended in divorce.
8) Since 1800 the two countries have been tied by a Treaty which states that their friendship will "endure till the end of time". The Queen quoted the Treaty during the Sultan's visit to the UK in 1982.